After visiting Arbour Hill Cemetery, we went for a drink in Ryan’s pub of Parkgate street, it’s a really old Victorian pub, established in 1886. It has a lovely old ornate wooden bar and old vintage tall lamps on the bar.
There are two private booths or Snugs on either side of the bar, these would have been where women would have drank, out of sight of the men.
As the pub is now owned by F.X. Buckleys, a butchers, there are some nice old photos going up the stairs of butchers and butchers shops around Dublin.
Sky sports, soccer played on two large TV’s but they don’t take over the bar.
Nice mix of a crowd, aged between thirties to sixties, more men than women on the Saturday afternoon we visited. Mix of tourists and others reading papers/watching soccer/having lunch. We really liked this bar, would come back again.
How to get to Ryan’s Pub
Take the Luas Red line from the city centre, then get off at the Museum stop.
Then walk parallel along the river Liffey, walk past the Aishling Hotel and about 300 metres from there you will see Ryan’s pub on the right hand side of Parkgate street.