This time last year, we said we would try and visit some tourist sites in Dublin, as we had both lived there for a number of years and hadn’t seen a lot of places. So we made the effort and had great craic visiting different tourist places and managed to blog about a few of them.
Just writing down a few things we plan on doing in 2016, a bucket list, so hopefully we get to see a good few on the list.
- The UEFA Euros France 2016: I’m a big fan of the Ireland football team and have gone to a few matches over the years and when Ireland qualified we said we’d both like to go. We had already applied last year in the UEFA Euro football ticket lottery before we knew if Ireland would qualify and didn’t get tickets at that stage, the 2nd lottery window is currently open, so we are applying. I’ve never been to France so would like to go, we plan on applying for tickets for 1 game, the game against Belgium in Bordeaux, so will travel around the south of France and then travel to Paris. We said we’d only go if we can get tickets so we might leave France until next year if we don’t. A friend of Richard’s mailed him the other day and said he is planning on going to France in the summer to see the Tour de France with his girlfriend and asked if we want to come along, so we might go to that if the tickets for the Euros don’t pan out.
- Cork/Kerry roadtrip: I’ve only been to Cork city once, so we are thinking of going to Cork, doing the Kinsale to Kenmare scenic drive route. We are planning on going around St Patrick’s, so spend St Patrick’s Day in Cork City, go to Fota Island, take the cable car out to Sherkin Island, visit the Titantic centre in Cobh, visit the Michael Collins visitor centre and visit beal na blath and visit Blarney Castle.
- Stand up Paddling, SUP for short, I’ve seen a crowd on instagram who do this in Sligo on Lough Gill and it looks fun, you have a paddle board and paddle and you are fully clothed not in a wet suit and you basically stand on it and paddle down the lake, it must be in a sheltered location on the lake as no one seems to fall over.
- Cycle the Old Rail trail from Mullingar to Athlone, we previously cycled this route but only 22 kilometres of it, we’d like to do the full 40 kilometres to Athlone and then back.
- Go to some of the 1916 Easter Rising commemoration events. We have visited a few places last year connected to them, like Kilmainham gaol, Glasnevin cemetery and Arbour hill cemetery, there’s a lot of different events on, so we are hoping to get to a few of them. One event I’ve seen so far, that I would like to attend is the Seán Mac Diarmada vigil, it will be held in Kiltyclogher in Leitrim, there are planning a vigil walk from his homestead to the village on the night he was executed. I’d also like to visit his cottage which has been restored, I have family living near Kilty and spent summers there as a child.
- 1916 Rising Freedom Bus tour: I’ve seen this bus tour online and on Nationwide and it looks good. We previously did the Easter Rising Rebellion Walking tour, which we found really interesting and it gave a great insight into the Rising and the battles around the GPO and Moore street, we thought at the time it would be good to go see some of the other sites and hear the history, which this bus tour does. The bus looks like an old army truck and the tour guides wear 1916 soldier uniforms. We love getting guided tours as you get to hear lots of little stories and anecdotes.
- Hike a mountain in Sligo, Tipperary, Kerry, we’ve done some hillwalking the last few years, we went up Knocknarea mountain and recently did the Queen Maeve trail and walked around the Gortarowey trail around Benbulben. Last Summer, we hiked up part of the Dartry mountains, beside Glencar Waterfall and went up Slievenamon mountain in Tipperary, this year we would like to do more hiking, maybe go on an organised hike with a group.
- Visit the South Tipperary County Museum, we have tried to visit here the last few times we have been in Clonmel but it either didn’t suit or the museum was closed.
- Aran Islands: I’ve never been out to the islands, so I’d like to go on a day trip to them.
- Go to a concert and music festival, we’ve been to a few different ones over the years, I keep saying after each music festival that I’m getting too old for them and for camping, so we’ll see if we have the energy for another one. Last year, we went to the Sea Sessions in Bundoran and the Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann in Sligo.
- Visit the Carrowmore Megalithic Tombs in Sligo, I’m from Sligo and I’ve never actually been there, the day they went in secondary school I was sick and then its just one of those things I never got round to doing, we always see the sign coming into Sligo at Castlebaldwin and say we must go there. Also, close by, the Arigna scenic drive and maybe visit the Arigna mines.
- Go see more plays, we’ve gone to a few in the Abbey, maybe we will try a few other theatres and also comedy gigs, we saw the comedian David O’Doherty, at the Sky Cats laugh festival last summer in Kilkenny and he was daft and hilarious.
- Go on the Dublin bay cruise down to Dun Laoghaire, I haven’t been and would like to do it.